World Music Night: Feat Coomba All Stars + Percussion Workshop
12 June @ 5:30 pm - 11:00 pm| $25
Ready to get immersed in a full-on cultural experience?
The Rhythm Hut and Coomba are proud to present a day of Middle Eastern culture!
MIDDLE EASTERN PERCUSSION WORKSHOP
The Middle East has been a melting pot of Civilizations and Empires for over 12,000 years. Its Music has developed into some of the most infectious, exotic, authentic, and recognizable sounds that we have on this planet.
It is used to celebrate a myriad of cultures, nations and ethnicity that make up this extremely complex part of the world.
During these workshops we will delve into some of the more popular rhythms from the Turkish, Middle Eastern and Arabic percussion styles.
Focus will be on:
- How to produce the variety of tones needed to play the rhythms
- Establishing primary rhythms
- Variations on these primary rhythms
- Techniques to improve improvisation
- At the end of the workshop there will be a group performance where students will be
- encouraged to perform what they have learnt.
- Coomba has been playing Darbuka/ Middle Eastern Tabla for over 25 years.
- He has a B A (mus) and has taught at Primary, Secondary and Tertiary levels in Australia.
- Coomba studied Darbuka/Middle Eastern Tabla both in Australia and overseas.
- Coomba learnt his skills in Middle eastern percussion through Tarek Sawires (Egypt/Aust) and Hakan Kaya (Turkey).
When: May 22nd from 5:30pm to 7:00pm
Followed by COOMBA ALL STARS BAND
Coomba has teamed up with Rendra Freestone (Bass), Tim Bradley (Kit) and Youssend Sawires (Darabuka) in a new project bringing the old world sonic architecture of Near East thought and Aryavarta musical philosophies into the stylings of modern culture.
Creating a sonic landscape, rich in texture and design, the music speaks a unique and complex language through the medium of Persian Santur and Darabuka (Middle Eastern Drum) while the Bass and Drums hold it down in the engine room.
The music is a collection of thoughts and promises inspired by the wandering path of travelled experiences that have been gathered up during life and spread across an aural spectrum.
When: May 22nd from 7:30pm to 11:00pm
We’ve sorted out some specials for you who wants to
enjoy the full experience!!
Middle Eastern Percussion Workshop + Coomba All Stars Band + Delicious Authentic Middle Eastern Food: $50
Middle Eastern Percussion Workshop + Coomba All Stars Band: $40
We are a licensed venue. Drinks available at the bar 🙂
Lots Of Love,